Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Take this Job and...Describe It? Part I

I'm often curious how my TIVO comes up with my personalized recommendations for shows "she" thinks I would like -- and judging from suggestions ranging from the romantic Sense and Sensibility to the demolition of Holmes on Homes, "she" must find me quite a puzzlement. It's mutual, honey.

In contrast, I am rarely curious -- and usually pleased -- with how my LinkedIn profile generates suggested articles for me. Here's a recent one about job descriptions that I enjoyed, and thought you might like as well. My additions are in red.

(From Dan Bobinksi's Workplace Excellence)

A well-written job description is your key to saving hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars -- for the recruitment, retention and development of paid staff, as well as volunteer leadership.

Here are two benefits -- more to come in the next posting!

Benefit #1: Clear, specific job descriptions make it easy to create interview questions that weed out applicants who don't match - and identify ones who do. Deb's note: Think about how to apply this for volunteer positions as well. Ever try to "fire" a volunteer? It's not pretty -- and it can often be avoided by putting the right people in the right positions in the first place.

Benefit #2: Even the best, most engaged new-hire becomes bored and disengaged if he doesn't think he's contributing to something bigger than himself. Written job descriptions are foundational for helping people see how their work fits into the bigger picture. Keep in mind that job descriptions can and should be a living document -- and should be used beyond hiring and performance evaluations. When used effectively, they can frequently reinforce the context for work. Volunteer job descriptions can similarly reinforce the context and importance of work, and can be used to begin a conversation about whether a volunteer is ready to move on to another, more engaging assignment.

Check back for 2 more benefits later in the week.

Deborah
www.myjewishcoach.com
www.jewishorganizations.blogspot.com
www.myjewishcoach.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Drew Kaplan said...

I think your LinkedIn profile is actually here.